Product Manager (Materials Science / Nanotechnology)
The Product Manager in the exciting fields of materials science and nanotechnology is part of the Databases team and will assist sales representatives during their negotiations with corporate and academic customers in the APAC region (mainly Japan, Australia, New Zealand, Southeast Asia). In his/her role, the candidate acts as the subject matter expert and will explain the products, the science behind, its features and its content to librarians, faculty members, researchers, graduate students, and other stakeholders. Specific areas of responsibility include product trainings, scientific support to product development, second-level customer and scientist support, web-based client interactions and content marketing. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to take part in product development, market research and marketing activities to ensure the business success of the two database products, SpringerMaterials and Nano – a nature research solution, and all of their continuing upgrades. He/she is required to be flexible, co-operative and professional to meet the changing needs during the course of product life cycle.
- Guide and assist database sales by providing the sales teams with necessary technical knowledge and support.
- Implement and coordinate all necessary product trainings (webinars or in-person) for customers as well as the sales and marketing teams. Communicate all product upgrades, feature changes and content updates in a timely and efficient manner.
- Determine sales and marketing strategies for the established and emerging markets.
- Act as the source of expertise for all product related enquiries. Employ your scientific background to interact with researchers and end users to create awareness of and interest in Springer Nature database products on a large scale and in small focus groups. Actively reach out to key researchers/professor to get feedback on product and generate interest. Qualify incoming inquiries from end-users (researchers, professors).
- Manage individual trials with key end-users to demonstrate the product value and benefits in context of requirements
- Gather, monitor and analyze customer feedback. Guide and assist product development by providing development departments with scientific knowledge and support.
- Coordinate with colleagues to promote the product(s) at conferences and meetings. Represent other database products during sales pitches, conferences, etc. in close coordination with colleagues in Asia, Europe and US.
- Maintain financial performance of the assigned product(s) as defined by corporate goals and objectives. Recommend changes to the pricing models based on the understanding of the target market(s) as needed. Resolve licensing conflicts.
- Act as the liaison between marketing teams, sales forces, development departments and end users.
- Design and conduct research on competing products. Prepare SWOT and competitive analysis reports for the assigned database product(s) and regularly update them.
- Engage the scientific community through personal interactions and social media with the end goal of showing that Springer Nature products can facilitate their research.
- Identify new market segments as well as new database products that might serve as valuable add-ons to the Springer Nature portfolio.
- University education in Chemistry, Materials Science or Nanotechnology-related fields
- Experience with publishing scientific research
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Excellent social skills
- Excellent project management skills
- Self-motivated and strictly business-minded – previous revenue responsibility and/or sales experience is a plus
- Willing to travel (Domestic and international travel)
- Fluent in English and Japanese. Proficient in Korean is a plus.